Custody Issue: Other Parent Charged With a Crime — What Do I Need to Know?

By Matthew T. Hovey, Esquire

Unfortunately, I encounter situations where a client is confronted with the news that the other parent of his or her children has been charged with a crime. Regardless of his or her relationship with the parent (i.e., married, separated, dating, or strictly parental), the client is always overwhelmed by an immediate desire to protect the children and understand how the criminal charge could affect the other parent’s custodial rights. The goal of this article is help parents placed in the difficult situation of co-parenting with someone subject to criminal charges understand their rights and the interaction between the custody and criminal systems.

Q: Is there somewhere I can go to check and see if the other parent has been charged with a crime?

A: Yes. You may check the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania, located at Under “Search for Court Case Information (Web Docket Sheets),” click on the appropriate court system: (a) Magisterial District Courts (Traffic, Non-Traffic, Criminal); (b) Philadelphia Municipal Courts; (c) Court of Common Pleas (Criminal, Miscellaneous, Summary Appeal); and (d) Appellate Courts. You can search by the parent’s full name and date of birth. I recommend thoroughly searching all of the databases.

Q: If the other parent has been charged with a crime, then how can an attorney help?

A: An attorney can file an Emergency Petition for Custody on your behalf. The procedure for Emergency Petitions differs from county to county and some counties will not permit an Emergency Petition to be filed without an attorney. The Petition will lay out the particular facts of your situation and allow you the opportunity to request the appropriate relief from the court (i.e., sole legal and physical custody). Shortly after the filing of the Petition, the Court will typically conduct a timely hearing on the facts and evaluate whether steps need to be taken to protection the children.

Q: Are all criminal charges treated equally?

A: No. The criminal charges most important to the court are those that somehow interact with the child’s safety. For example, possession of marijuana is a serious crime, but, by itself, may not be enough for the court to suspend a parent’s custodial rights. Other crimes, however, are statutorily mandated to strip a parent of their custodial rights. These criminal charges include: (a) all variations of criminal homicide; (b) aggravated assault; (c) terroristic threats; (d) stalking; (e) kidnapping; (f) unlawful restraint; (g) false imprisonment; (h) rape; (i) statutory sexual assault; (j) involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; (k) sexual assault; (l) aggravated indecent assault; (m) indecent assault; (n) indecent exposure; (o) arson and related offenses; (p) incest; (q) endangering welfare of children; (r) sexual abuse of children; and (s) contempt claim for violation of a protection from abuse order. 23 Pa.C.S. 5303(b)(b.1).

Q: How does the court treat these statutorily mandated criminal charges?

A: The statute permits a parent who is aware of pending charges against the other parent may “move for a temporary custody order or to modify existing custody, partial custody or visitation temporary custody order… The temporary custody or modification hearing shall be scheduled expeditiously.” The court must consider whether the parent poses a risk of harm to the child. In making this determination, the court MUST appoint a “qualified professional to provide counseling to the offending parent” and must take testimony from this professional prior to issuing any permanent order for custody or visitation. According to Ramer v. Ramer, 914 A.2d 894 (Pa.Super. 2006), the professional must have an expertise related to the underlying offense. For example, if the parent was charged with a sex offense, the professional must be qualified to counsel sex offenders, the parent must complete the sex offender counseling, and the professional must testify in court as to the effectiveness of the counseling and whether the parent poses any risk to the child. Custody should not be restored until the counseling in completed. Typically the costs of the evaluation and testimony is placed on the offending parent.

If you, a family member, or a friend are co-parenting with someone charged with one of the crimes listed above, please counsel him or her to immediately contact an attorney and gain a deeper understanding of his or her rights. An Emergency Petition may be required. Please know that our firm currently offers free initial consultations and I would be glad to sit down and counsel them on their options.

4 thoughts on “Custody Issue: Other Parent Charged With a Crime — What Do I Need to Know?

  1. What if one of the parent was charged with a domestic case but has changed for the better and is rasing the child, does that play a role on the parents side .


  2. Recently i was involved in an incident where a man was stalking me. He became very aggressive. So aggressive in fact that he falsified a police statement against me claiming i robbed him with a kitchen knife which was untrue. I was thrown in jail and i have sole legal custody of my son. Dad was given a temporary residential order. I’m out on bond and sitting in an indictment. However my local district attorney believes i did not commit the crime and I’m actually working with them to not only exonerate the charges but testify my against my accuser and proving they have committed purgery. In the meantime I’m dealing with family court and a full investigation on both sides. Dad has a criminal record. Do i have a chance of getting my child back?


  3. My child’s father was recently arrested for a domestic with his wife. A string of charges ensued. Can I file for emergency sole custody?


  4. I have been charged with felony drug trafficking also contributing to the delinquency of a child. (The officers told me if I didn’t admit guilt to the drug charges that they would indeed trump up child abuse charges, as a way to pressure me into cooperation. Now my daughters grandparents have been awarded temp custody. I have not been convicted. How is this right? Is it legal for the police to blackmail me this way?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s