Hunting with Silencers in PA is Legal!

A number of individuals have inquired with our office whether it is legal to hunt with a silencer in PA. As silencers have become more popular, affordable and increasingly marketed to the hunting community, they are being utilized in the field by more people than ever. In Pennsylvania, it is legal to hunt while using a silencer.


In 2009, Chief Counsel Joshua Prince wrote to the Game Commission requesting confirmation that there are no prohibitions on hunting with silencers in PA. The Game Commission replied that it was legal to do so and suggested that individuals have a copy of their “license” for their silencer. A copy of that letter can be found here.

While the Game Commission itself spoke of a license, it is likely they meant a copy of your approved form from ATF. While researching the topic a bit further I stumbled across another letter that was issued by the Game Commission in January of this year.

Hunting with Silencer 2015

It seems in the years following Joshua’s original request, the Game Commission has taken to training their officers on the use and possession of silencers.

If you are a Pennsylvania resident and want to obtain a silencer but are unsure where to start, give us a call! We can help you form a Gun Trust to purchase your silencers. For more information on Gun Trusts you can read this blog article by Joshua Prince.

Did you find this blog post helpful or informative? If so, share it with your friends by using the buttons below! Don’t forget to “Like Us” on Facebook by using the buttons to the right!

3 thoughts on “Hunting with Silencers in PA is Legal!

  1. Just one note; Never, EVER carry the original of your Form 1 or Form 4. If it gets seized and BATFE lost their paperwork on your silencer (Or any NFA item) you will go to Federal prison!!!
    Make a color copy (Or black and white if you are poor) of the Form 1 or 4 and carry that. If arrested your lawyer will present your Form 1 or 4 for you and the case will go away. For who to call in Pennsylvania see the header above and Google their number.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Correct, in case that wasn’t conveyed in the article, the original approved form stays at home somewhere safe. If you manage to lose it you can call the NFA Branch and get a certified copy, but it will not have a stamp affixed to it.

      I personally laminate copies of my form and toss them in each of my range bags. Others put them in small binders in their range bags. Hunting poses a bit of a different challenge as you aren’t toting around your range bag. A copy tucked in your gear will be just fine.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s